Information about OneTouch Select Test Strip
It is a well-known product used with OneTouch SelectSimple® Glucometer to test your blood glucose levels. The OneTouch test strips are used for the quantitative measurement of glucose in blood drawn from the fingertips. The OneTouch select blood glucose monitoring system is intended to be used by a single patient and should not be shared.
It is very simple to use. You have to remove a single diabetes test strip from the box of strips. Insert it into the slot on the glucometer just before you prick your finger. So, it will be easy to add your blood sample onto the strip and get the results. In case of any doubt, read the instructions on the glucometer beforehand.
It is wise to check the test strips before use for better results. Also, always check the expiry date on the test strips and lancets before buying. This is because, the use of outdated strips can give incorrect readings, and thus will not serve the purpose. Do wash your hands thoroughly with an antiseptic hand wash before the test.
Key uses/benefits of OneTouch Select Test Strip:
- Used for the accurate quantitative measurement of glucose (sugar) present in the blood
- Can provide you an overview of how efficiently your blood glucose treatment program is working
- Testing blood glucose frequently will allow you to keep your diabetes in control
- Requires only a tiny drop of blood for the test
- Helps you to monitor glucose level at any time and anywhere
- Can be used to keep a regular tab on your sugar levels at your home
- Provides accurate and reliable results
- Can be measured indoors and outdoors as well
Directions for use:
Read the user manual/instruction leaflet carefully before using the strips. However, here is a step-by-step guide you need to follow to check your blood glucose level at home with the help of a glucose monitor.
- The first step is to wash your hands with soap and water, pat dry them with a towel. You can also use an alcohol swab to clean your finger before testing but ensure the fingertip is completely dry before you test.
- Remove the diabetes test strip from the box of strips. Insert it into the slot on the glucometer just before you prick your finger.
- Next, use a clean lancet (a device that holds the needle) or insert a clean needle in the lancet, which can help you to prick the end of your finger.
- Prick the side of your fingertip and wait till blood oozes out. Wipe off the first drop gently and then put a drop or two onto the designated place on a test strip attached to the glucometer.
- Hold a clean cotton pad or gauze on the prick site to stop blood flow. Apply pressure on the area of the insertion until the bleeding stops.
- Your blood glucose level will appear on the meter’s display. Note down your readings as it helps you to monitor your glucose levels from time to time.
- Repeat this procedure every time you test your blood glucose level.
Quick tips for OneTouch Select Test Strip:
- For in-vitro diagnostic use only.
- Store in a capped vial in a cool and dry space between 4-30℃.
- The test strip is for single use only, never reuse.
- Refer to the manual for the details before using this product.
- Do not take any medical decision without consulting a doctor.
- Always discuss your results with a registered medical practitioner.
Storage and safety information:
- Read the label carefully before use.
- Store in a cool and dry place. Do not refrigerate.
- Keep away from direct heat and sunlight.
- Each strip is for single use only.
- Keep out of the reach and sight of the children.
- Dispose of the used strips properly.
- Do not use if the expiry date has passed.
- To be used within 6 months of opening the test strip vial
FAQs related to OneTouch Select Test Strip:
Q. Can blood sugar strips be reused?
No. Blood glucose test strips are for single use only. Do not ever reuse a test strip as it may not provide you with the appropriate results. It is strongly advised to always discard a test strip after every use.
Q. What are the benefits of glucometers?
It is well known that testing blood glucose levels with a glucometer at home is one of the best ways to manage diabetes. It can help you to test your blood glucose at any time of the day and anywhere. Using a portable glucometer is the best way to test glucose when traveling. Charting of blood glucose levels becomes easy with glucometers especially with devices having memory options to store previous readings. These on-time blood glucose monitors can help you to keep your blood glucose level in check and better manage diabetes.
Q. What is a normal glucometer reading?
According to the American Diabetes Association, the fasting or preprandial blood glucose levels for diabetics should lie between the range of 80 – 130 mg/dl and postprandial (1-2 hours after meals) should be less than 180 mg/dl. However, the range mentioned in your glucose monitor may be a little different. So, you need to speak to your doctor to calibrate the results with your lab reports.
Q. How do blood glucose monitors work?
The diabetes devices or glucometers test the amount of glucose in the blood. The test strips present in glucometers contain an enzyme called glucose oxidase. This enzyme reacts with glucose in the blood and sends the result as an electronic signal which is displayed on the monitor.
Q. How often should you test your blood glucose with a glucometer?
If you have type 1 diabetes, you may need to check your blood glucose levels several times a day (pre and post meals, before and after exercise) or as advised by your doctor. Whereas, if you have type 2 diabetes, the frequency of monitoring your sugar levels might be based on the severity of the condition which can be several times a day, once a day, or thrice a week. Therefore, it would be best to consult your doctor about how often you should test your blood glucose.